Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Arrgh!

Today I officially win the worst mother of the year award! The first stupid event of the day happened when I locked the keys in the car. But that is not the bad part! The problem was Aly was asleep in the car, the car was parked in the sun, all the windows are up and the car was running- oh and did I mention that it wasn't even MY car? So I called my Parents (it is their car that I borrowed from my Brother at college who is using it while he car hunts) to see if there was a hide-a-key. My dad tells me that he gave it to my brother to "hide" when he took the car to college. So I try and reach my brother but he doesn't answer his phone because he is in class. Finally I get though to him and the hide-a-key is in his apartment in Rexburg. So my Dad calls again and tells me to fish a wire hanger through the door and try and roll down the window. Problem is all of my hangers are Plastic! So in the end I call the Police. They come over (by this time it has been almost a half an hour and I am getting a little nervous) and tell me that they don't unlock car doors any more and a lock smith is on the way. (Why didn't dispatch just tell me that and I would have called the lock smith myself?) So about the same time the police arrive the Elementary kids get off the bus. The bus stop just happens to be in front of our house so all the kids are standing in my drive way staring at the police car. ( I am sure they all told their mom's about the police at Chandler's house when they got home) When all was said and done, the lock smith came and Aly was fine. They didn't even charge me because there was a child in the locked car.
I could have lived with my stupidity if it had ended here! A couple of hours later I was doing laundry and the older kids were running in and out of the house. So I am in my room hanging clothes when the door bell rings and a lady hands me Aly and tells me she was in the middle of the street and she almost ran her over! I just starred at her in disbelief. Could I be any worse of a parent! We are the first house in the subdivision off of a pretty busy road and I am just so grateful that she wasn't hurt. To top that off she didn't have pants and was running around in her diaper with boogies running down her face! So now I am sure this neighbor ( whom I had never met until today) was shaking her head all the way home. So there you have it. I hesitate to even post this because I am so mortified to think that everyone will know my sad parenting abilities. I am just grateful that Heavenly Father loves me and is watching out for my family and that children have short-term memories!

P.S. Did I mention that Kent is in Spokane, so of course he missed out on all the fun. It is always better when he is around, he is a much better parent than me!

3 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

Jamie,

We've all been there boogies and all. ((HUGS))

You are NOT the worst Mom in the world, and Kent is a great dad, but you've got what it takes. :)

PS Glad to know I wasn't the only one up late at night!

Bon said...

Jamie,

I am glad to know that other mothers have "those days" too! You are soooo a good mom and I am sure many have locked there kids in the car. I hope you have a better day tomorrow!!:)

Hillery said...

Jamie, I understand completely! Today I was putting Kenadee down for her nap, closed my bedroom door and then for some reason I needed to go back in, I couldn't because my door was locked! I freaked out, called Curt 100 times before he answered, and I couldn't get the door open, he came and it took him 5 seconds! Then I remember one day Curt and I were getting ready for an appointment when we heard our doorbell ring and our neighbor hands us Braxten, he was about Aly's age, and they found him across the street crying for his daddy knocking on people's doors! WE were so embaressed and mortified! We thought we had locked all the doors to keep the kids in, but apparently one of my boys let him out! We all have our moments!