Monday, June 29, 2009

In case you were wondering...


Well I know that this post will probably be news to a lot of you, but I have had a couple of people ask if I am ready for the move to Florida. So quick update for all- Back in January Kent started contemplating life (which happens about every 2 years for us) and thinking about what he has really wanted to do when he "grew up." I am sure that him turning 30 last year (feeling old!) and a major downturn in the real estate market contributed also. So he started looking into film schools. He has always wanted to get into the movie or game industry. In April he started applying for schools and was accepted to a couple. We decided on a school in Florida- Full Sail University. He will be getting his bachelors in Computer Animation. When he is done he hopes to be working on special effects for movies, or start out in the gaming industry if he needs to. We decided that he would start school after the baby was born in September.
--Our contract was up on our lease and we found out that the house we were in was in foreclosure so we decided to move to where we live now "temporarily" while we were waiting for the baby.--
Then around the first of June, Kent was talking to the advisor at the school and she asked Kent if he had considered online- well up until June his degree was not offered online- so no, we hadn't thought about it. She was looking at how much we would have to take out in Student loans and let us know that we would save over $30,ooo in loans if he would switch to online. Honestly I was DEAD against online. I had just spend the last 2 or 3 months getting use to the idea that we were moving across the country and leaving our family for 3 years and was actually exited! We were also not sure about online. I have heard that it is harder because you have your own schedule and we wondered about the quality of the education. But, after a lot of prayer, we decided that we are going to save ourselves from an even higher student loan payment when he is done and get his degree online. This will allow Kent to start in July and not have to wait until the baby is born. It is a 30 month program for a Bachelor's so Kent is going to still be very busy and we will have a lot of adjusting to do! So for now, those of you in Idaho are stuck with us. We have decided to keep renting where we are (thanks Roman and Julie) and we really do love it! We have a great back yard with a ton of trees, privacy and great neighbors. The kids will be going to a great school and have already made friends. I am still doing Real Estate and I now work for a local company as a negotiator with the banks for properties they are purchasing.
So after Kent graduates- then I guess we will hit the road... unfortunatly NO jobs in Idaho for computer animators.
Well, sorry that this was long and I know that this post has not enriched anyone's live, but now you know! Wish us luck.

5 comments:

Bon said...

That is awesome. I am sure your family is glad that you aren't moving so far away! My bro-in-law is a computer animator and loves it. He has worked with lawyers and done reenactments for courts of car crashes. It is awesome and I totally can picture Kent doing that!

Pirate Princess said...

Oh I don't know. Kent deciding to pursue a dream not enriching? I think it is! I think he'll love it. And hey - he figured it out at 30... Russ turns 40 this yr and he's still trying to figure it out. ;)

I'm sure it will all work out to your advantage. :)

The Hokansons said...

Wow, that sounds really fun and exciting! We're glad you're not going so far away.

The High Family- said...

I am glad you guys will be around here for atleast a little while longer. It has been so nice getting to see you and Keza is quite the little t-ball player. Hope to see ya monday.

Tamara B said...

We are totally excited for you both! New beautiful Baby and new Career. Life would be dull without these new times of adventure. Who knows you may end up in our neck of the woods!